Dermal fillers are injections used to fill out wrinkles and creases in the skin.
They can also be used to increase the volume and definition of the lips and cheeks.
The fillers are made from a variety of materials and the effects can be either temporary or permanent, depending on the type of filler:
- collagen – effects last three to four months
- hyaluronic acid – lasts about four to six months
- calcium hydroxylapatite – lasts about 18 months
- poly-L-lactic acid (PLLA) – effects of injections given over several months may last up to two years
- polymethylmethacrylate beads (PMMA) – permanent, but most risky